Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Edinburgh Castle

I want to be royalty.

Seriously! I am going to hunt me down a king (or at least a duke or a count) and live happily ever after in a castle. To be more specific, Edinburgh Castle, or one just like it.

It is a beautiful creation. And huge! Massive! Monumental! Insert more words that mean big here!

One of my favorite things about Edinburgh Castle is that a person can see amazing, sweeping views of the city from it. I saw another side of the city from being above it. It took my breath away when I peered over the ledges of the Castle: rooftops of cathedrals reaching for the heavens, vehicles criss-crossing all over the roads, clouds lazily floating through the blue sky. Everything seemed so peaceful, so picture-esque, so perfect. I wanted to stare at those views for hours.

The castle didn't just consist of one building. I think that's the biggest misconception I had about it: that it was a single building. Instead it consisted of many buildings that had many different uses: a jail, a chapel, a weapons house, a garden, living quarters, servants quarters, etc... It was overwhelming to look at the map that showed the layout of the place. Luckily it was easier to navigate than it looked. All I had to do was basically follow the paths.

But the paths! Oooh, the paths! I've come to the conclusion that any princess who lived in this castle had to be one tough broad because the cobblestones that paved the paths were hard and uneven. They were harsh on my feet! I would not have survived back in the day. Or! I would just have buff men carting me around so my feet wouldn't hurt! There's an idea!

One story that I loved from our tour guide was about the gun firing every day. Each day at 1 p.m. the gun fires off to alert everyone in the city and at sea to the time. Why one o'clock? Why not noon, as many people would assume? Because Scots do things their own way! And because if it was fired at 1 p.m. they'd only have to fire one shot as opposed to the twelve needed for a noon sounding. That way they'd save money and use it for more important things "like Scotch and haggis." I love it!

The best part of the castle for me was seeing St. Margaret's Chapel. It was this tiny little unassuming chapel in the middle of the castle grounds. It was named after Saint Margaret, a woman who died of a broken heart three days after her husband passed away. That story broke my heart and truly made me believe in the power of love, so the Chapel was something I felt an instant connection to. Inside it couldn't fit more than maybe 15 or 20 people, but in it's simplicity lies it's beauty. The stained glass windows are intricate in the details and vivid in color. The altar has a couple of religious sculptures and the walls are pure white. Yet something about this tiny building latched onto my memory and my heart. It felt simple, pure, the kind of place where you would confess all your sins and become closer to God. The walls felt like it held secrets and a history. It reminded me of the church I attended when I was young. Because of that I felt connected to it. It was lovely.

I would be lying if I said I didn't enjoy seeing the Scottish crown jewels. Because that was huge, too. The jewels of Scotland are older than the British royal jewels--I believe the tour guide said they've been used since the 12th or 13th century. (Note: there is a very good chance I could be WAY OFF, so don't quote me on that.) They were beautiful: sparkling (duh), big (double duh), stunning (I suck at describing pretty, shiny things). The Stone of Destiny lies there as well. The Stone of Destiny is Scotland's symbol and a huge source of pride for all Scots. A royal cannot be crowned without the Stone of Destiny there. If a coronation happens and the Stone is not in sight, it is not considered official.

The interesting thing about the Stone of Destiny is that it's not really that pretty. It looks rather plain--like a big block of sandstone. It isn't adorned in emeralds or diamonds. It isn't shiny. Instead it's sizable block of stone that fits perfectly into the Coronation Throne in London. To hear the Scots talk of it was inspiring. They are so proud of it and the history behind it.

That's what I'll truly take from my visit to Edinburgh and Edinburgh Castle: the passion and pride. The Scottish people I met were very proud of their heritage and their history--both personal and in their country. They had an energy that was contagious; it was hard not to be excited about their stories as they animatedly spoke and gestured. There is so much passion and pride within that city. I hope to carry that with me always. And I hope that I show my passion and pride in my interactions daily. Thank you for that reminder, Edinburgh. You will not be soon forgotten, I promise.

No comments: