Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Trippin'

An email I sent to my closest friends and loved ones after I got home from Glasgow. And to those who don't know me too well? This is SO typical of me.

Greetings from Glasgow!!

So. I'm on this amazing tour of the UK right now and today we were touring the University of Glasgow and the beautiful city. While we didn't have time to pick up any souvenirs, I did come back with something special.

A sprained ankle.

We all know my luck. I am not a graceful person. But really? I couldn't even make it four days into my trip without injuring myself? Does this suprise any of you, though? It shouldn't.

Here's what happened. We had an hour to grab food before our bus left to come back to our Palace (yes! I'm staying in a palace! But don't be too jealous because apparently Palace is another word for drafty and kind of dingy looking. It's nice, but not what I'd think of when I hear the word, you know?) for the night. Being thrifty, my friends and I chose the pub where you could get a cheap burger and free Coke. The place was up a flight of stairs, so as we descended, we are happy and full and generally loving life. As I'm on some random spiel or another, I don't watch where I'm going, my foot slips, my ankle twists and suddenly I'm looking at the cobblestone sidewalk. My friends all gasp and I hear a group of Glasgownians go collectively "ooooh." One nice guy did leap up and try to help me up from my fall of shame.

The sad thing? I didn't even drink! No drinky! And still hurty! Baah!

I swear I'm going to make a shirt when I return that says "I went to Glasgow and all I got was a sprained ankle." Which, really, is more than anyone else got because there was zero time for shopping today.

No comments: