Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Last Night in London

To commemorate our time together, our trip coordinator planned a big last-night dinner at a Belgium restaurant for our entire group. Although I'd done my fair share of griping (and crying because of my stupid ankle), I knew I was going to miss some of the girls in the group, so I was appreciative of this gesture and the meaning behind it.

I sat next and around some of the people who had made me smile, laugh and think throughout the trip. Amber was a continuous source of inspiration because of her gorgeous smile, great attitude and fabulous fashion sense. Alexa was always the calm during the chaos with a very chilled-out attitude and easy-going smile. Heather started each day with a sweet compliment and a positive attitude. Lesa helped me to look at things from another perspective with her unique views and patient nature. And Becky, my constant travel companion--my sanity when I felt like going insane, my partner in crime and my SAA sister. Good GOD, I can't thank her enough for being there for me.

The environment was low-key and easy-going, which made the conversation and laughter come easy. We savored some inside jokes that had developed over the course of the two weeks, recounted our best and worst moments and tasted each others' dishes. I somehow ended up with a huge bucket of mussels for my dinner, so I was all too happy to share them because there was no way I could finish them all, no matter how much I adored seafood. The night drew to an end too quickly, but we all were feeling the pull and pressure from being abroad for so long. Even though few would admit it, we were ready to go home. But for a few short hours, we were together for one last time, not talking about the implications of education or student affairs, but showing another side to ourselves and enjoying each other for one last time. In the flickering candlelight, on those long wooden benches we bonded for one final time. And though very tired, I couldn't have been more grateful.

No comments: