Saturday, May 17, 2008

Sleeping Sweet in Leeds

After visiting York for the day, we rolled into Leeds, roughly 45 minutes away. Apparently there was some sort of big sporting event around York, so all the hotels were booked up, so we were fortunate enough to see yet another big city of England.

I, for one, was thrilled when I saw Leeds on the itinerary for one reason. The Spice Girls. Or, rather, Scary Spice. Scary was my faaaaavorite Spice Girl of. All. Time. And she happened to grow up in Leeds. (Thank you, SpiceWorld, for that vital tidbit of information.) So when we got there, I was all "hellooooo Leeds! Thank you for giving the world Scary Spice! EEEE!" (Seriously. I have the photos to prove it.)

Besides the excitement of being in the Home of Scary Spice, the other fabulous thing about Leeds was that we got to stay in a hotel. A REAL hotel, complete with internet connections and air conditioning and soft, sweet, mushy beds. And cable. Oh, how I missed cable. Granted, there was nothing good to watch on television, but just having it near felt comforting. I didn't think I would enjoy a hotel after residing in a castle and a palace, but I was so very VERY wrong. I sunk into my bed and did not want to get up for anything. I zoned out and stared at the t.v. for a couple of hours. I relished the air conditioning. I hugged my unbelievably mushy pillow. I used my electronics without fear of it blowing the entire electrical system of the building.

The little things that I had gone without for nearly a week. They felt gooooood. It was a delicious treat. I fell asleep with a smile on my face that night.

No comments: