Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Oxford

Our last stop of the day was at Oxford University. The reason I wanted to go on the day-tour was because of Oxford, yet it was the least exciting part of the trip for me. Perhaps it was because we only got an hour or so in the city. Maybe it was because our tour guide didn't really know what he was talking about or couldn't answer our questions. (The guide at Cambridge had set the bar REALLY high because he knew every story, myth, nook and cranny of the city and school.) Or maybe it was because I was burned out by that point, both with the day-trip and my travels in general.

Oxford is a gorgeous city. Much like Cambridge, the town and the campus of the University are fused together. And like Cambridge, bikes lined the streets and people played cricket and football in any open, grassy area. The buildings were beautiful and the town was charming. Yet, I was underwhelmed with my experience. It could have been for any number of reasons. I'm glad that I saw the city and got to snap some nice pictures, but in the battle of Oxford vs. Cambridge, Cambridge kicked Oxford's ass a hundred times over.

No comments: