Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hobbling around Holy Island

So. Although I was told it was a long walk to the monastery on Holy Island, I was determined to not let my injury keep me from enjoying my day. It was sunny outside, there was a castle on the outskirts of the island that made me happy just by looking at it and I felt inspired by the scenery. Besides--the entrance fee was paid for already (through the class fees)and I wasn't about to let hard-earned money go to waste!

So Becky and I set out to see the island. And I have to pause here to give her a zillion props. She stuck by my side all day, never batted an eye about my limpy nature and did not complain that I was walking about 1/4 mph. She is an amazing friend--I'm so grateful she was on the trip with me!

The monastery turned out not to be as far as we anticipated. And it was amazing to see because it was built in the 9th century. (I think. I have to recheck my facts.) The hall that the monks stayed at is the first residence hall ever (allegedly), so it was incredible to see the roots and how far residence halls have come. The place is merely ruins now, but it was amazing to see them and imagine how life would have been for the monks-in-training.

The highlight of the ruins was the rainbow arch, which towered above the grass at least thirty feet into the air. It looked to be reaching for the puffy clouds above it, enshrined in red brick.

Around the ruins were the shoreline. From it, I could see sailboats docked. Further in the distance was a castle on a peninsula, sure to be the home of a duke, lucky enough to own the lush land and island. It was enchanting and gorgeous.

Surrounding the ruins were small pubs and restaurants. We decided to pop into one for crab sandwiches. I had heard that the island is famous for them. Being a huge seafood fan, I was not about to let that opportunity pass me by! The place was packed when we entered, mostly with my classmates, all of whom were clamoring to try the same sandwich I was. Though it took a while for the bartender to take our order, the wait was well worth it. The crab was fresh, the bread was crusty--it was like a piece of heaven in my mouth. It's a pity that seafood doesn't hold up because a dozen of those to-go would have made a fantastic souvenir for myself and friends!

The area is also famous for Mead, a sweet honey wine made on the island. After lunch, Becky and I ventured over to the winery to taste it. The wine room was packed with tourists with the same intentions, but it was clear that the workers were pros at handling crowds, as trays of Mead samples lined the counter, tempting customers to try it. We each grabbed a tiny shot, toasted and tasted. It was like liquid candy, warm and sweet as it snaked down my throat. It was gone too soon and I was sold on the idea of purchasing a bottle to share with my boyfriend. Becky also purchased some to share with her friends State-side.

Seeing the sights, sampling the local foods and wine and generally enjoying the day helped me to forget about my ankle. (Although admittedly so did a few Tylenol Fast-Acting Gelcaps.) My determination helped to make my day a memorable one; I'm happy I didn't let a small thing keep me from having a great day.

No comments: